Friday, August 01, 2008

August 1st: St. Alphonsus Ligouri

Did you know that St. Alphonsus Maria de Ligouri, Doctor of the Church:

-- Was a scion of Neapolitan nobility?

-- Started out as a lawyer -- was in fact quite a famous lawyer, until he lost an important case and abandoned the law at age 27?

-- Had an almost all-out war with his father over his priestly vocation?

-- Founded the Redemptoristines, a women's order, before founding the Redemptorists?

-- Was effectively expelled from his own congregation by Pope Pius VI?

-- Was an accomplished musician and composer?

-- Wrote over 100 books -- many for the average reader?

-- Resolved never to waste a single moment of time -- and spent over 90 years carrying out this resolution?

St. Alphonsus' Prayer for the End of the Day
Jesus Christ my God, I adore you and I thank you for all the graces you have given me this day. I offer you my sleep and all the moments of this night, and I implore you to keep me safe from sin. To this end I place myself in your sacred side and under the mantle of our Lady, my Mother. Let your holy angels surround me and keep me in peace; and let your blessing be upon me. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Today in the Traditional Catholic Calendar of 1962 is the Holy Feast of the Holy Maccabean Martyrs. Orate pro nobis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the writings of St. Alphonsus. He really inspires one to holiness. I've read three of his books - only 97 more to go...

    ReplyDelete